The latest payroll updates are automatically validated for integrity by Windows before they can be installed. A file cannot be validated when Windows detects irregularities in the downloaded file. Other Windows applications may also encounter this error when updating. QuickBooks maintenance release is basically one of the most common errors encountered when updating/installing or downloading QuickBooks desktop versions i.e. Pro/Payroll/Desktop. A user encountering QuickBooks payroll update error will receive an error message from QuickBooks
“Error 15271: The payroll update did not complete successfully. A file cannot be validated.”
Or “Error 15271: The update did not complete successfully. A file cannot be validated.”
To remove error code 15271 from QuickBooks, Inc. recommends turning off User Account Control in Windows. You may also need to apply other solutions besides this one to resolve the error. However, this isn't the only solution that always works.
Causes of QuickBooks Desktop Error 15271
There are several reasons that can trigger error 15271 when updating QuickBooks Desktop:
- Using an outdated version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- QuickBooks Desktop has been discontinued.
- QuickBooks Desktop's background processes are being interrupted by Windows security applications.
- QuickBooks cannot install updates due to incorrectly configured Windows User Account Control (UAC).
- Expired payroll tax tables.
- Error 15271 can also occur when the SSL of the Internet Explorer is incorrect.
A solution to Fix QuickBooks update error 15271
Getting rid of QuickBooks error 15271 can be accomplished in a number of ways. Let's talk about each solution below in turn:
Method 1: Clean installation of QuickBooks in selective start-up mode
- You need to first press the Windows tab, then hold R.
- The run dialog box will appear.
- Then type in MSConfig and click OK.
- In the main menu tab, click on the Selective startup option, then tick the box next to it,
- Then select the load system services.
- Go to the service tab, and then click the option to hide all Microsoft services.
- Select disable all and then click OK.
- Uncheck the box that says hide all Microsoft services as well.
- In addition, check the Windows service list to make sure the Windows installer is checked. Hit OK after checking the same box.
- In the configuration option, click the restart tab.
- Afterward, uninstall QuickBooks and then reinstall it.